Warsaw, 26 October 1949. Irena Skonieczna (MA), acting as a member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, interviewed the person named below, who testified as follows:

Name and surname Zofia Kalińska, née Sosnowska
Date and place of birth 1 January 1885, Wołkowyszki, Suwałki Region
Parents’ names Wincenty and Florentyna, née Bartkiewicz
Father’s profession town mayor
Citizenship and nationality Polish
Religion Roman Catholic
Education secondary
Occupation office worker
Place of residence Warsaw, Saska Kępa, Berezyńska Street 30, flat 5
Criminal record none

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was at home at Smolna Street 34. On 3 or 4 August, I do not now remember the date, the Germans from the [National] Museum, I do not know their unit, set fire to all of the houses on the odd-numbered side of Smolna Street. First, they led all of the street’s residents to the museum. When I saw the Germans and heard them ordering everyone to come out into the street, I and a few other people who lived in our house hid in the basement, from where we proceeded to Foksal Street and stayed there until the evening. There were a dozen or so of us in the house at Smolna Street 34 (we were the ones who had disobeyed the German order to exit and go to the museum); we remained there for a few days, after which we received a delegation from the museum, this numbering a few men and women. They informed us that the rest of those detained would be released in return for our watches. Therefore all of us who had watches, handed them over. And indeed, the next day all of those taken from our house returned. Amongst them I knew Ms Helena Struś (currently resident at Smolna Street 34, flat 6) and Roman Kowalski (resident in the same house, flat 1). We stayed in our house until 7 September. Virtually throughout this period our street was a no-man’s-land and was not even fired upon. Towards the end of August, or maybe in the first days of September, the Zamoyski School at Smolna Street 30 was occupied by the insurgents. They were deployed in some of the flats in other houses, too. However, all of them left our street by the evening of 6 September.

On 7 September in the morning the Germans started to evict the residents of our street. Only two elderly ladies, cared for by Ms Struś, remained in our house. However, I later learned that they too had been evicted. We were taken first to the museum, where we stayed for a few hours, and from there through the garden of the Polish Red Cross, along Czerwonego Krzyża Street and the embankment, where the number of people in the column increased steadily (on that day the Germans were also evicting the residents of other streets in Powiśle), along Bednarska and Krakowskie Przedmieście streets, through Saski Square and along Wierzbowa, Chłodna and Wolska streets to St. Stanislaus’ Church. There they separated the young men from our group and detained them in front of the church, while the rest were ordered inside the building.

After a few hours the mass of people gathered in the church was led to the Western Railway Station, from where they were taken by trains to Pruszków.

The young men reached Pruszków in the second transport.

Once the residents had been evicted the houses on the even-numbered side of Smolna Street were first plundered and then burned down.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.