On 23 March 1947 in Zakopane, a Member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, Magistrate Dr. Stanisław Żmuda, acting in accordance with the provisions of and procedure provided for under the Decree of 10 November 1945 (Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland No. 51, Item 293), in connection with Articles 254, 107 and 115 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, interviewed as a witness the person specified below, who testified as follows:

Name and surname Feliks Kowalewski
Date and place of birth 22 February 1906, Przeworsk
Parents’ names Edmund and Felicja née Mossor
Occupation lawyer
Marital status married with two children
[State] affiliation and nationality Polish
Place of residence Zakopane, Sienkiewicza Street 314

On 12 May 1940, I was arrested by the Gestapo at my law firm in Zakopane. I do not know the surnames of the Gestapo men who effected the arrest. I was brought to the “Palace” building at Chałubińskiego Street at about 4 p.m. For about an hour, I was standing in the corridor with my face to the wall; I was jostled and kicked several times by the passing Gestapo men. I also heard being called “you cursed Pole” in German. Standing not far from me were the late Kazimierz Kowalczyk (he was shot at Auschwitz) and both Gabryszewski brothers.

Next I was called by the interpreter, Mazurkiewicz, and went for an interrogation to a room on the ground floor, situated to the left from the entrance. I do not know the surname of the Gestapo man who was interrogating me. I was questioned in the presence of the interpreter Mazurkiewicz. Even though I spoke German well, I decided to testify in Polish and use the help of the interpreter. During the interrogation, I was threatened and verbally abused by the Gestapo man. I was questioned about possession of radio devices and weapons, and ultimately I was charged with making hostile remarks about Germany and the Germans at my law firm and of assuring the local highlanders that the Germans would soon be driven from Poland. I was next accused of dissuading the local highlanders from attending a demonstration of support for Frank at a time when he visited Zakopane; of having been seen several times at dusk when talking to suspicious persons in the vicinity of the Bernardine Monastery in the Bystre neighborhood; and – as it was asserted – of helping Poles with negative attitude towards the German state and nation in crossing the border.

After the interrogation, during which I was hit in the face by the Gestapo man when I was answering his questions, I was taken to a room situated to the right, on the ground floor of the same building, which was used as a washroom etc. Standing there were the late Kazimierz Kowalczyk, the two Gabryszewski brothers and, if I remember correctly, Jan Kowalski from Zakopane. We were facing the wall, and the Gestapo man who was watching us made sure that we could not communicate. I was kicked for turning my head towards Kazimierz Kowalczyk, and he received the same treatment. We could speak only during the short absences of the Gestapo man. At about 9 p.m. we were called outside the “Palace” and taken by car to the local detention center at Nowotarska Street, from where after a few days we were transported to the prison in Tarnów and then, on 14 June 1940, to the Auschwitz concentration camp.