Warsaw, 23 October 1945. Judge Halina Wereńko interviewed the person named below as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the content of Art. 107 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the judge swore the witness in accordance with Art. 109 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. The witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Marian Bielewicz
Date of birth 19 August 1911
Names of parents Marian and Wacława née Marchowska
Place of residence Warsaw, Długosza Street 27
Occupation no occupation, turner by profession
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

In the spring of 1942, I don’t remember the exact date, but it was a few months after the final liquidation of the ghetto, the Germans organized an execution site for Poles at Nowolipki Street 29. Working in the underground, I was ordered by my commander to keep watch over the abovementioned place. As instructed, I went to the execution site right after the execution of 500 people there in the spring of 1944.

I got there through basements, through the passage marked with the number 12 on the plan I have drawn. I saw Jews working for the Germans collecting the corpses of the victims from in front of the execution wall (number 18 on the plan), loading them onto stretchers and then putting them on a pile of wood raised in the spot marked 5 on the plan. They sprinkled the corpses with a yellow powder I didn’t recognize, packs of which were stored in the building marked 8 on the plan (I saw this myself). Then the Jews splashed some fluid on the corpses, paraffin or petrol I believe, and set the pile on fire. The corpses were naked or dressed in shorts, their hands tied in the front or in the back. Executions, as I established based on my continuing observations, took place twice a week.

I know that there were executions because I saw cars approaching the gate at Nowolipie Street 29, from which detainees were led out, and after a while I would hear machine gun volleys from this courtyard. This continued until the end of May 1944; later executions took place on the corner of Gęsia and Dzika streets.

I saw the last execution, which I observed in May, having sneaked into the ruins of the house marked 19 on the drawing I made (the drawing constitutes an attachment to this report). I watched from a window on the [ground] floor, and the executions were carried out in a lot marked 5 on my drawing. There were no other buildings between myself and this lot.

Gendarmes lined the detainees up against the wall marked 18 on the drawing. That was about 8.30 a.m. People were executed in fives. Only some of the victims were blindfolded, and all of them had their hands tied. I counted seventy-five people shot that way.

I observed this from a distance of around forty meters. The detainees did not speak or shout, although I did not see if their mouths were covered or filled with plaster. After the execution I saw a Jew I knew, Leon Tryski, working for the Germans with other Jews, putting the corpses of the executed on a pyre and burning them.

I should add that my colleague, alias “Kapelusznik” [“Hatter”] was observing this with me, I will find out his address and provide it additionally. I wish to note that all the buildings surrounding the execution site were demolished at the beginning of June 1944.

I would like to add that, as I observed, partly charred bones left after the burning of those executed in the courtyard marked 5 were thrown into the basement marked on the plan with the number 13.

The report was read out.