Warsaw, 2 March 1946. Judge Halina Wereńko, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Warsaw, interviewed the following person as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the gravity of the oath, the judge swore the witness. The witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Piotr Haberko
Date of birth 15 October 1897
Names of parents Piotr and Marianna née Pielna
Occupation glass furnace constructor
Education seven grades of elementary school
Place of residence Wołomin, Poniatowskiego Street 7
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

During the German occupation I lived, as I do now, in Wołomin. My son Zdzisław Stanisław, born on 1 January 1923, lived there with me.

I indicate here the actual date, during the German occupation a false date of birth was indicated in my son’s papers, that is 1 January 1918, and this is the date that was indicated on the poster that announced my son’s execution.

My son was in an underground organization, whose objective was to fight Germans. He was very active. During that time political commissar Schisler lived in my house, and thanks to this our organization was notified by my son about the Germans’ intentions.

On 7 November 1943 during a raid that Germans organized in Wołomin, a cache of arms, uniforms of Polish soldiers, lists of Volksdeutschen, and other similar documents, was discovered in the house of the leader of the organization, Majewski (residing at Powstańców Street). Under the pressure of German interrogations, Majewski, when asked about the list of Volksdeutschen, Ausweise, and certificates, gave away the name of my son.

On 8 November 1943 my son was not at home, he had gone to Warsaw on the organization’s business, namely he planned to release forty persons taken during the Wołomin raid and detained in the camp in Skaryszewska Street. On that day the Gestapo men burst into our house, they detained my wife and children and everyone who entered the flat. I was not there on that day. I came to Wołomin on the following day, 9 November 1943. Having been warned by some people, instead of going to my flat I went to the railway station, where I met my son, who had come from Warsaw. I told him to run, but my son replied that he had the chance to organize the escape of forty persons from the camp in Skaryszewska Street, and until he did that he would not go into hiding. Then he said that he had not been ordered by his superiors to leave Wołomin. I started pleading with him, to which he replied “You might not be a good Pole”. Knowing my son’s stubbornness and his devotion to the cause, I did not object.

While we were walking down the street, we were approached by gendarmes, who arrested my son. They took him to Radzymin, then to Warsaw to aleja Szucha 25, and then to Pawiak prison.

From the blue police commissioner in Radzymin I learned that a confrontation between my son and Majewski had taken place, whereby my son, during the interrogation, had not given anyone away; he had stuck to that tactic and had not confessed to the crimes alleged against him.

I undertook efforts to have the Germans free my son. I found a source, where I was promised this would be arranged for one hundred and seventy-five thousand zlotys. I paid half of this amount, and when I came to pay the other half, around 20 November 1943, I was told that my son was dead, whereupon the money was returned to me.

I had a dream that my son was alive after all, and on the following day I went to the prison deposit in Chłodna Street with a food parcel, which was accepted, which meant that my son was still alive.

I had already undertaken efforts elsewhere to have my son freed, when on 4 or 5 December 1943 I saw his name and personal data under the number 89 on a poster announcing an execution of Poles. The execution had taken place in Puławska Street, one hundred men were killed. The German who was trying to have my son freed told me than my son had remained unshaken in the course of interrogations, he had not given anyone away and he had not pleaded guilty.

The report was read out.

I should add that before the war my son was a student at the Secondary School of the Secondary School Directors’ Association [Gimnazjum Stowarzyszenia Dyrektorów Szkół Średnich] in Krakowskie Przedmieście Street; during the war he completed construction courses, attending clandestine classes.

Read out.