On 17 July 1947 in Staszów, the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes of the District Court in Radom, Branch Office in Staszów, Judge Albin Walkiewicz, an attorney in Staszów, interviewed the person mentioned hereunder as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the wording of Article 107 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Józef Kępa

Age 49 years old
Parents’ names Kazimierz and Antonina
Place of residence Staszów, 11 Listopada Street 6a
Occupation tiler
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

I lived in Staszów throughout the occupation. Germans shooting at people on the streets, roads, and cemeteries were part of our everyday life. In 1943, my son Józef Kępa, aged 22, was shot dead, while he was walking outside at 8.15 p.m., unaware that the curfew had been changed from 9.00 to 8.00 p.m., which many people did not know. This happened in June. In September of the same year, gendarmes Rippert, Janczewski, Kramer, Fencke and the chief officer of the blue police station, Ratajczak, arrested my son-in-law, Jan Jastrząb. He was kept three days in jail and then he was shot dead on the street, where he had been taken by Janczewski, Fencke, and Kramer. I do not know which of them shot him because they were all present.

In July 1943, my brother Kazimierz Kępa, aged 45, was arrested, dragged out of his apartment, and shot dead on the street, but I do not know by which Germans. They were some gendarmes from Staszów. On the same day, the gendarmerie arrested my brother- in-law, Marcin Kamiński, aged 40, took him to Opatów and killed him there. I do not know why they did it. In June 1943, I was doing corvée work in the yard of the house occupied by the gendarmerie, when about eight people went out of the house into the yard. They came from Staszów and had been terribly tortured. They were released from the basement and allowed to go to the toilet, but they were unable to reach it, although the toilet was situated about eight meters away. They kept collapsing and could not get up, their faces and heads had been smashed into a pulp, covered in blood. Two of these people – Kruk and Kazimierz Przybyciński – were shot dead. Later on I saw Władysława Kępa, who had been released. His entire body was purple from the beating. He said gendarmes had beaten him. These people had been accused of providing help to Jews. I saw gendarmes from Staszów – I do not know their names – bring two strangers by car to the Golejów forest and shoot them. I also saw Gondek, a post office worker, being taken to the Golejów forest, where he was shot dead.

Deputy chief officer, Wachtmeister Janczewski, a former blue police officer, was in charge of investigating political suspects at the gendarmerie station in Staszów. He chose victims that were to be murdered, which I already knew, but it was then confirmed by Fencke. I heard from the night guards who were on duty the night my son-in-law was killed that the murder was committed personally by Janczewski. In this way, about 40 residents of Staszów were shot dead. What is more, about 80 people – passers-by from outside the city, in addition to Jews – were shot dead in the city or nearby during the occupation. I did not witness the liquidation of the Jewish ghetto. When I was passing by the building occupied by the gendarmerie, I heard terrible screams of people being murdered coming from the basement. I do not know anything else.