On 22 July 1947 in Staszów, the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes of the District Court with its seat in Radom, Branch Office in Staszów, Judge Albin Walkiewicz, an attorney in Staszów, interviewed the person mentioned hereunder as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the wording of Article 107 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Jan Wroński

Age 44 years old
Parents’ names Franciszek and Franciszka
Place of residence Staszów, Opatowska Street 11
Occupation owner of an office of application writing services
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

I spent the entire period of German occupation in Staszów. I did not personally witness any murders or abuse of Poles or Jews committed by the Germans. Until around the middle of 1942, no people from our town were captured during roundups and sent to Germany to work. From the beginning of the occupation until then, the Germans forced people to work in Germany, but those people were assigned by a commission specially appointed by the mayor, consisting of 40 people and selecting people who were to go to Germany to work. From among the selected people, at least 60% refused to leave and then the gendarmerie or Germans from the Arbeitsamt took them away by force along with people who had not been selected.

In the middle of 1942, roundups started and usually took place at night. The roundups were carried out by the gendarmerie and Arbeitsamt officials both local and from the Radom District. The roundups took place roughly once every three months until around May 1944. I cannot specify how many people were forced to leave for Germany after they had been selected by the above-mentioned commission or captured in roundups. During roundups, usually young men and young women were selected, but if there were no young people in the house, older people were also taken away – those who were unfit for work were exempt by a medical board.

The following people from Staszów were taken by the Germans to concentration camps: Ignacy Raczyński – the mayor, Skrętek, Stanisław Rogala – butcher, Wąsikiewicz, Jan Scisło, Henryk Rzymkiewicz, Rytfińska, Wiktor Iżyłowski – they were all killed in camps; then – Aleksander Maruszewski, another Rzymkiewicz, Mrs. Socha, Andrzej Maj, Dr. Czesław Kozłowski, Dr. Lemieszewski, three people from the Adamus family, two people from the Stępień family, Chmielewski, Łukasik, Segał – I do not remember more names. I do not know the reason why those people were arrested and taken away, but I know that the Adamus family, Mrs. Socha, and the Stępień family were taken away as part of repressive measures for their sons or husbands, who had been arrested and escaped from prison. Those people were arrested by the SD from Opatów and the gendarmerie.

When it comes to the Germans I know, the head of the gendarmerie station in Staszów, Leutnant Rippert, and his deputy, Wachtmeister Janczewski, committed the most crimes. I heard that the latter personally shot people, for example, a man from Czajkowo, whom I did not know, but who was probably called Rogala. Gendarme Cichoń also shot people. I heard that he killed Dąbrowska, the wife of a major of the Polish Army, and others.

I do not know anything else. The report was read out.