Łódź, 7 June 1946. The investigating judge S. Krzyżanowska heard as a witness the person specified below; the witness did not swear an oath. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stadnicka Adela
Date of birth 18 November 1895
Parents’ names Stanisław and Klementyna
Place of residence Rogów nr Koluszki, Elementary School No. 4
Occupation nurse
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

During the occupation I was arrested by the Germans in Warsaw, in April 1942. I was brought to the prison at Dzielna Street, Pawiak. I was arrested at night. From the first moment the Gestapo men tried to intimidate me, threatening that they would deport me to the camp or execute me for not answering their questions.

In Pawiak I was incarcerated in a solitary cell. After two weeks I was summoned to aleja Szucha for the first interrogation. During interrogation I received several dozen blows about the face and I was told that the next time they would not treat me so gently (“next time I will not pet you” – literally, in [interpreter] Dolmetscher’s words). During that interrogation they gave an order to incarcerate me in the dark cell. I was not officially notified of the duration of this punishment, but an inscription on the cell said “4 weeks”. After the end of this punishment I was called for the second interrogation, and after that I stayed in a solitary cell (not the dark one). During that time, that is, two weeks, I was interrogated six times.

In order to force me to admit to things (which I was hearing about for the first time in my life) and affairs about which I had nothing to say and knew nothing about, I was being beaten with a wooden stick that broke on my back. Then, during subsequent interrogations, this stick was replaced with an iron one, with an iron hilt. Both interrogators were about 25–27 years old.

I don’t remember their names.

They were beating me unthinkingly, not paying attention to what they were hitting. Once after interrogation, when my wounds were still bleeding, I was told to wipe the blood in order not to leave marks on the stairs. After the last interrogation of that sort, and being beaten unconscious, I was put in a solitary cell at aleja Szucha, and then I was moved to Pawiak upon the order that I should be interminably incarcerated in the dark cell, and it was emphasised that it was to be a German solitary cell, so the Polish prison staff had no access to me. I was subjected to starving, so I was getting only half the normal food ration (bread and soup). I was deprived of any contact with home, divested of all my belongings, and in the cell there was only a mattress with a handful of straw and nothing to cover myself with. In the corner there was a bucket without any lid. The cell was not aired once during my entire stay. The lights were being turned on during meals, I was allowed to go to the toilet for a moment once a day.

In order to harass me, the lights were being turned on and off many times during the day and at night. During the period of the dark cell, my solitary cell was in the special care of a German called “Wyłop” [bulging eyes].

During this interminable isolation I was deprived of medical aid, baths, and air, and it badly affected my health, but I did not crack although I was very weak and exhausted.

The interminable confinement in a dark cell lasted for three months, and then I was moved to a common cell. Due to poor health – heart condition, general exhaustion, and a partial loss of vision – I was taken to the hospital, and in November 1942 I was deported to the concentration camp in Auschwitz. After the evacuation of Auschwitz we were deported to Bergen-Belsen, where we were rescued by the British troops. As I suffered from a severe heart condition, I was taken to Sweden for treatment. I came back to Poland in October 1945.