In Ujazd on this day, 14 April 1949, at 3.30 p.m., I, Jan Bech, from the Citizens’ Militia Station in Ujazd and commandant of the station, acting on the basis of Article 20 of the provisions introducing the Code of Criminal Procedure, on the instructions of citizen Deputy Prosecutor from the Region of the Prosecutor’s Office of the District Court, this issued on the basis of Article 20 of the provisions introducing the Code of Criminal Procedure, observing the formal requirements set forward in Articles 235–240, 258 and 259 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, with the participation of a reporter, militiaman Marian Sobkiewicz, whom I have informed of his obligation to attest to the conformity of the report with the actual course of the procedure by his own signature, have heard the person named below as a witness. Having been advised of the right to refuse to testify for the reasons set forward in Article 104 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, and of the criminal liability for making false declarations, this pursuant to the provisions of Article 140 of the Penal Code, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Mikołaj Lasota
Parents’ names Tomasz and Antonina, née Sulma
Date and place of birth 30 November 1891, Skrzynki, Łazisko commune, Brzeziny district
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Occupation farmer
Place of residence Skrzynki, Łazisko commune, Brzeziny district
Relationship to the parties none

I don’t remember the exact date, but it was during the German occupation, in 1942/43. The Germans took Poles to camps en masse and for the slightest offence; they also took approximately 40 people from the village of Skrzynki, Łazisko commune, Brzeziny district, to the penal labor camp in Zawada, Łazisko commune, Brzeziny district. There were a few Germans in that camp who supervised the prisoners. I know the following names: two brothers by the surname of Wesołowski, probably from Dębniak, and Bartkowicz, about whom I don’t know anything more. There were a few other Germans whose surnames I don’t know.

They treated the Poles in a cruel manner. We had to work all day in water, regardless of whether it was warm or cold. We were forbidden to talk to any family members. The camp was fenced with barbed wire, and we couldn’t talk during work. For the slightest offence, and more commonly without any reason at all, we were cruelly beaten, and they didn’t pay any heed to the age or state of health of their victim. We received food three times a day, but these meals were insubstantial and harmful to the health, and they would sooner make you sick than provide any nourishment. Fortunately the prisoners came from the surrounding areas and received packages from their families, which saved each and every one of us from starving to death, as the Germans did this on purpose, in order to smite and deprive as many Poles of life as possible.

One day, when one of the Germans by the name of Bartkowicz came back from vacation, he addressed us in the following way during the evening roll call: “Are you bastards still breathing? I had hoped you would have already kicked the bucket in all that water”. Many other Germans addressed us in similar terms, but none of us replied them, as we feared beating or deportation to Auschwitz. Apart from that, I didn’t witness any other crimes committed by the Germans.

At this point the report was concluded, read out and signed.