In Ruda Białaczowska on this day, 18 September 1948, at 6.00 p.m., functionary Górczyński from the Citizens’ Militia Station in Białaczów, with the participation of reporter Jerzy Galant, heard the person named below as a witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the wording of Article 140 of the Penal Code, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Arkadiusz Mastalerz
Parents’ names Antoni and Genowefa
Age 25 years old
Date and place of birth 1922, Ruda Białaczowska
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Occupation laborer
Place of residence Ruda Białaczowska, Gowarczów commune
Relationship to the parties cousin of Benedykt Gad

On 15 March 1943 at night, I went with my cousin Benedykt Gad from Ruda Białaczowska to the village of Skronina, because we had been informed by the Polish Police that Ruda Białaczowska would be pacified. We spent the night in Skronina. In the morning I woke up and noticed some Germans next to Serwatka’s house; I warned my friend and we ran towards the forest with the intention of escaping. In the field we came under fire from machine guns and my friend was wounded in the leg.

Because my friend was wounded, I gave up on the escape. The gendarmes approached us, running; we were searched and taken back to the village, to the vicinity of the Serwatka house. They ordered me to lie down in the garden. I lay there for a long time and my friend was taken to a neighboring flat, where he had his wound dressed. Several people were lying in the garden with me and they were taken one by one and led into the flat, where they were shot; before execution, they were ordered to take off their shoes.

When my turn came, they also ordered me to take off my shoes and when I complied, a German led me into the flat and fired at me at the door step; he hit me on the top of the left lung, and I fell to the floor, unconscious.

I would like to emphasize that the people who had been led into the flat before me were shot in the second flat (room), and I was shot with Marian Kurabiowski, who later burnt.

When I came round, I noticed that the house in which the murdered people and I were lying was on fire. Taking advantage of the belching smoke, I jumped out of a window and managed to escape.

I am sure – as I was an eyewitness to it – that on 15 March 1943, the gendarmes and the Gestapo men bestially murdered eighteen victims in the Serwatka house. My wounded friend was also burnt to death.

At this the report was concluded, read out and signed.