On 31 May 1947 in Zwoleń, the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes with its seat in Radom, this in the person of lawyer Marian Marszałek, acting pursuant to Article 20 of the provisions introducing the Code of Criminal Procedure, interviewed the person mentioned hereunder as a witness, without taking an oath. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations, of the provisions of Article 106 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, and of the significance of the oath, lawyer Marian Marszałek took an oath therefrom pursuant to the provisions of Article 254.1 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, following which the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Apolonia Posłuszna
Age 39 years old
Parents’ names Jan and Maria, née Zych
Place of residence Kroczów Mniejszy
Occupation a widow, miller
Religion Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

I have been living in the village of Kroczów since 1928. I continue to live there. I was there throughout the occupation. After the Germans entered, they started arresting people. Those who were well known would be detained as hostages, in order to keep the area quiet. This was in any case unnecessary, for the local populace was terrified enough of the round-ups.

In 1942, a single Volksdeutscher was killed in our neighborhood; he died in the course of a drunken brawl. As retaliation, special Gestapo units were sent in from Kraków and some townships closer to ours. They were assisted by Volksdeutschers, for example Emil Betkier and his sons from Policzna, and Jakub Gram from Karolin.

A total of 152 Poles were arrested, and among them my husband, Roman. All of them were murdered with shots to the back of the head. The bodies were incinerated two years after the execution in order to erase all traces of the crime. It was at that time that they killed my brother, Władysław. I saw his body and ascertained that he was tortured before death: his fingers were broken, his arms and chest carried puncture wounds, his eyes had been gouged out, and his head was broken open. [...] these people, whereas the Germans committed the murders, selecting those who were well known. The Volksdeutschers assisted them, for they had a good knowledge of the residents of the village of Kroczów. German gendarmes burned two whole families – the Pietrzyks and the Łowińskis – for offering shelter to the partisans. They herded them into a pigsty, doused the structure in liquid paraffin, and then set it alight. Everyone burned to death. There were 5 people there, including a small child, just 5 years old. In 1944 in the village of Kroczew-Góry they shot dead Mrs Pawlak and her 2-year-old child because her husband was a partisan.