On 30 October 1947 in Radom, the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Radom, in the person of Deputy Prosecutor T. Skulimowski, heard the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the provisions of Article 106 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Kazimierz Śmigielski
Age 45 years old
Parents’ names Michał and Marianna, née Gawrysiewicz
Place of residence village of Krychowice, Kowala commune
Occupation farmer
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none
Relationship to the parties none

During the German occupation I stayed in Kosów, where I was responsible for the manor woods and ponds. Towards the end of 1939, when I was in the Kosów Forest, I saw a few cars with some people and the German gendarmerie come to the forest. I hid behind a pine and noticed a truck pull up among the trees. Approximately 25 people – some of them in civilian clothes and some wearing Polish uniforms – were unloaded from the truck and ordered to dig a pit; they did as told. At that moment two gendarmes came upon me from behind, checked my papers and told me to get lost. After I left the forest (maybe a half an hour later), I heard three grenade explosions and screams. Next I heard single shots; I suppose that they were finishing off the wounded.

When the Germans left the site, I went there and saw a fresh grave, which was masked, as well as traces of blood and body fragments all over the nearby bushes. On one of the pines I saw a rope and bullet marks on the bark. I guess that someone must have been tied to this tree. I didn’t see any women among the victims.

I know that many people were brought to the same place throughout the occupation and executed there, as I often heard shooting. These executions were carried out quite frequently. I didn’t go to the forest any more, because I was afraid; they had already seen me there once. I believe that a thousand or more people were executed in that forest. I didn’t go there also because the gendarme who checked my papers told me that should they meet me once again, they would kill me like a dog. I don’t know whether the bodies are still in the forest, because I heard that towards the end of 1944 the corpses were burned.

The report was read out.