Warsaw, 5 March 1946. Judge Stanisław Rybiński, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person specified below as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations, and of the significance of the oath, the judge swore her in, after which the witness testified as follows:

Forename and surname Józefa Paradowska, née Książek
Date of birth 6 April 1897
Names of parents Józef and Antonina, née Malinowska
Occupation housewife
Education elementary school
Place of residence Warsaw, Łucka Street 8, flat no. 23
Religious affiliation Roman-Catholic
Criminal record none

At the end of October 1943, I do not remember the date precisely, returning from Praga to Warsaw, I got on tram no. 25 in Praga under the bridge near Skaryszewskich park. I do not remember the name of that street; I only know that tram no. 25 turned under the bridge and ran around as far as the Poniatowskiego bridge. It was 9:30 a.m. when there was commotion under the bridge; the Gestapo arrived and ordered all the people who were present there to get on the tram. I was afraid that there would be a round-up; I wanted to escape but it was too late. Being inside the tram, which had already turned towards Warsaw, [I saw that] there were six vehicles with SS-men and prisoners between the tram and the Vistula river. TheGestapo men surrounded the yard, after which they took out ten women and then ten men out of the truck that was in the middle (it was a so-called covered “shed”). There was a little red house right next to the bridge, as you travel towards Warsaw on the left side. The women and men were put in a line by the Gestapo men by the wall of this house. I was observing the prisoners from a distance of about one hundred meters. The prisoners, men and women, were standing barefoot; instead of their clothes they were wearing paper short-sleeved covers. They had sacks that covered only the backs of their heads linked to a cover made of brown paper covering their entire bodies. Their whole faces were exposed. Onecould see that their heads had been shaved except for a small fringe above their foreheads. Their faces were terribly haggard. Their lips were strangely puffed up, as well as their cheeks next to their lips. Two Gestapo men led each of them, linking arms. None of the condemned people made a sound; I therefore conclude that their mouths had been plastered over. The women were put against the wall on the left side, the men on the right side. In the middle, there was a group of Gestapo men (I do not know how many there were) holding machine guns. Then, there was a salvo and the condemned people fell down. I noticed that the Germans aimed at their heads since after the departure of the Gestapo men who loaded the bodies of the murdered people into the same vehicle in which they had brought them there, I went to the execution site and found blood stains, scattered pieces of brain and skull bones. Right after that, people came with flowers and candles. I stayed there for over an hour. After that experience I was ill for two weeks; therefore, I do not know if there were notices put up announcing that execution. I do not know the names of any of the murdered people. People who were trading near the execution place told me that the execution had taken place under the bridge because that was exactly the place where somebody had killed a German.

The witness interview report was read out.