Warsaw, 13 February 1946. Associate Judge Antoni Krzętowski, delegated to the Warsaw-City Department of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person specified below as a witness, without swearing her in. The witness was advised of being under the obligation to tell the truth, and of the criminal liability for making false declarations, after which she testified as follows:

Forename and surname Maria Skuza
Names of parents Antonina and Wawrzyniec
Date of birth 29 June 1897
Place of residence Warsaw, Kawęczyńska Street 16, flat no. 8
Occupation housewife
Education four grades at elementary school
Religious affiliation Roman-Catholic
Criminal record none

My son, Marian Skuza, was arrested by the Germans on 14 October 1943 in the flat of Jan Ciuk, who was a Blue Police detective. Both my son and Ciuk were members of a Polish secret military organization. Both of them, together with 38 other hostages, were executed by the Germans on 9 November 1943. My son and Ciuk were executed in a group of 20 people at the corner of Grójecka and Wawelska streets; another group of 20 hostages was executed on Dworska Street.

I was not present at the execution, I know the details concerning my son’s death from the account of a fourteen-year-old girl, to whom I talked when I met her at the place where my son had been executed. I visit the place every week.

The details that were given to me by that girl (I do not know her surname or address) are related to the way in which my son was dressed and his conduct during the execution. I cannot say anything about the way the execution was carried out or about the arrangement of the firing squad, and so on. On 17 October, on the radio, the Germans announced a list of hostages, including the surname of my son. There were 20 surnames announced on the radio at that time, also including, in addition to my son, the above-mentioned Jan Ciuk, Jan Dobrzyński – a Blue Police sergeant from the XVII police station, Pioruński – a superintendent from the XVII police station, Kruk – another superintendent from the same police station, and also a Baranowski and Kowalski, about whom I cannot give any more details. I do not remember the names of the other hostages. On 1 November a notice was put up informing people that all the hostages whose names had been announced on the radio on 17 October had been sentenced to death, except for Kruk and Pioruński, who had been executed earlier (there was a radio announcement about it). Moreover, the notice also included the surnames of additional 22 people, since it had the surnames of 40 people sentenced to death in total.

I do not have this notice. I know that it was kept by a young lady who had lost her brother during that execution. I do not know the surname or address of that person and I have not seen her; however, if I do meet her I would tell her to report to the Commission as a witness.

My son was kept in Pawiak prison together with a Jan Prokop. Prokop was arrested approximately at the same time as my son and was kept in Pawiak until April 1944. He currently works in the Civic Militia at Koszykowa Street 10.

I visit the place where my son was executed every week and I sometimes meet people there who might have witnessed the execution. I will try to persuade such a person to report to the Commission as a witness.

The witness interview report was read out.

14 February 1946

I, Maria Skuza, the mother of Marian, my son, gave my testimony on 13 February 1946, and I forgot to add that second notices were put up on 10 November 1943 at 9 a.m., since the execution took place on 9 November. So, the initial posters were put up on 1 November, informing who had been selected to be executed, whereas the final notices were put up when the execution had already been carried out.