Warsaw, 25 January 1946. Court assessor, Anotni Krzętowski, delegated to the Warsaw City District Branch of the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the significance of the oath, the judge swore the witness, who then testified as follows:

Name and surname Maria Gryglaszewska
Names of parents Stanisław and Stefania
Place of residence Warszawa, Bagatela Street 10
Occupation shop owner
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

During the Warsaw Uprising, until 27 August, I stayed in the house at no. 10 Bagatela Street. Initially, until 5 August, I stayed in a flat on the ground floor; then, until 12-13 August, I was in the basement and later in the attic, in a small room emptied by one of the residents.

On 27 August, the Germans took me to the Gestapo HQ together with my brother Kazimierz Gryglaszewski. They used my brother for labor and transported me by car to Narutowicza Square, and from there on foot to the camp in Pruszków. I stayed in Pruszków for two days and was then taken to the concentration camp in ………. [a blank space left in the typescript, handwritten on the margin: Stutthof?] near Gdańsk.

When I was in my flat at Bagatela Street 10 and then in the basement of that house, I wasn’t able to watch what was happening in the park because the flat gave onto aleja Szucha and almost no sound reached the basement. I moved to the attic with my brother, it seems on 12 or 13 August, anyway not on 20 August, as my brother testified. Apparently, he got that wrong.

At that time, executions in the park happened very rarely or did not happen at all, as I understand based on what different people told me. I myself don’t have any information about this matter. I only know about it by hearsay. Staying in my house, I could constantly hear shots coming from the park. I could hear those shots, although very suppressed, in the basement, too. However, I did not hear any cries. During our entire stay on Bagatela Street, apart from the last few days, we were very troubled by the smoke rising from the park. This smoke was characterized by a very unpleasant smell. It was the stench of burning bodies.

I never directly saw the burning of corpses by the Germans. Once, at the beginning of the second half of August, when I was looking out through the window onto the park, I noticed a big, powerful fire, around which wandered prisoners in striped clothing, throwing some sort of joists into it. I did not see any Germans there at that time.

I don’t remember if the smoke rising from the fire also had the characteristic smell of burning bodies. I didn’t see any corpses. A few days later I looked out onto the park again. I saw prisoners in striped clothing digging a pit. There were maybe eight of them, maybe ten. There were also a couple of Germans there at the time. One of them had an armful of green leaves and later decorated the grave with them.

Apart from that, I didn’t see anything of interest. The Ukrainians who escorted us on 26 August, said that we were lucky because all those who had been taken earlier were already dead.

Read out.