Warsaw, 21 June 1946. Investigating Judge Halina Wereńko, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stanisław Józef Wiśniewski
Names of parents Michał and Maria née Szinder
Date of birth 13 July 1885, in Sadzawki, Tarnopol province
Occupation counselor at the Ministry of Work and Social Care
Education four law courses at the University of Lwow
Place of residence Opoczyńska Street 2b, flat 5
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

On 11 August 1944, in the morning hours, around 9:00, a unit of German soldiers – as far as I remember, Wehrmacht – marched into Opoczyńska Street (a side street off Rakowiecka, in Mokotów) and spread out through all the buildings located there, calling on the residents to immediately leave their houses, which they had been ordered to burn. Asking where we were supposed to go, we were told that we could go to our “bandits.” After all the residents came out, we decided to go to Narbutta Street, but the German soldiers wouldn’t let us, shooting to deter us, and forcing us to head in the direction of Rakowiecka Street and up it towards św. Andrzeja Boboli Street, amid houses that were already burning. At a certain moment, shouts of “ halt” sounded from the Main School of Rural Economy [Szkoła Główna Gospodarstwa Wiejskiego] building, and next everyone was rushed into the school yard and the gate was closed. Dozens of families from nearby streets, Asfaltowa and Rakowiecka, were already in the yard. After a while, all the men were ordered to go out onto the street, threatening that if anyone remained in the yard or in the building, they would be executed on the spot. So we all left, including myself, my son Jerzy (born 9 February 1921), my son-in-law Wacław Ciepielewski (born 12 February 1909), Eustachy Piotrowski (born 11 October 1928), our friends from the same house Ryszard Stroński with his sons Jerzy and Jan, eng. Dębski, and others. Once arranged in rows, all men aged above 60 were told to step forward, then those over 55 (I was in that group), then 50, and finally down to 15 years old. This group was told to stand aside, while the rest were arranged in threes, a total of around 250-300 men, and led under a heavy escort towards Puławska Street. Once the first group had walked off several dozen steps, one of the soldiers came back and addressed the remaining women in more or less these words: “Do not fear, women. They are going to work, they will be well fed and will come back to you after some time.” Having said these words, he returned to the group and followed it. The remaining older men and children were told to join their families and immediately go west, which everybody did, going towards Okęcie.

The group of men marched off has not been heard of since, in spite of various efforts my friends and I have made, including via the radio, the Polish Red Cross, the Repatriant organization and other announcements; we have received no information or any other concrete details concerning their fate. However, rumors have been going around that the whole group was supposedly taken to aleja Szucha and then transported to a clay pit and executed. Reportedly, engineer Roman Lichy, residing in Milanówek at Szkolna Street 12, has more information about these events.

I have testified.

Read out.