On 6 May 1969 in Warsaw, the assistant prosecutor of the District Prosecutor’s Office for Warsaw-Żoliborz heard the person named below as a witness, without an oath. After informing the witness about the right [to] refuse to testify (according to Article 94 of the Criminal Code) and of the criminal liability for false testimony, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stanisław Balcerzak
Date and place of birth 7 October 1910 in Rożdżałów, Chełm county
Parents’ names Władysław, Kazimiera née Rychliczka
Place of residence Warszawa, Trylogii Street 28
Occupation retired, employed in odd jobs
Criminal record none
Relation to the parties none

From 1929, I lived in Warsaw in Żoliborz, and from 1937 on Żelazowska Street in the so- called Piaski [Sands]. From 1941, I lived with my wife on Słowackiego Street 108 or 112, opposite the current Marymont bus station.

From 1942, I belonged to the ‘Kampinos’ Home Army group. I was a squadron leader, and a week before the outbreak of the Uprising, some of my group was sent to Kampinos to prepare provisions, and a courier would come for the rest. In the end the courier didn’t check in with us, so we stayed in Warsaw. Because after the outbreak of the Uprising I could not cross into Kampinos or join the insurgent units in Żoliborz, I was hiding in the Piaski area in a dug out bunker. Anioł was hiding along with me – I don’t know his real name – and his son, who is now an officer in the Polish Army. Two men were hiding in the next bunker, one called Listek, and I don’t know the second one. We hid in the bunker until 12 September 1944, when the Germans caught us and took us to Fort Bem. From there, we were transported first to the camp in Pruszków, and then to work in Germany.

While hiding in the Piaski, I personally didn’t see any corpses or any executions. Due to the fact that the village was controlled by the insurgents up to Włościańska Street, shots could be heard frequently. After returning to the country after the Uprising—that is, in September 1945—I learned that next to the Krzyżanowski estate, several young men had been shot in the excavation under the embankment, but who they were and under what circumstances they were killed, I don’t know.

In addition, I know that in the Piaski, in the bunker where Listek was hiding, two married couples from Marymont were hiding along with their children. I don’t know the names of these people. I can’t specify the [exact date], but these families, not wanting to hide anymore, decided to return to Marymont. I don’t know what happened to them after leaving the bunker.

After the Germans had discovered us and I was deported to Fort Bem, I met Mr. Sarba there, I don’t know his first name (currently residing [on] Podaczyszyńskiego Street, the corner of Cegłowska). In conversation with him, I learned that he had also been hiding in the Piaski.

After returning to the country, I learned that my wife had been told that I was dead by a woman unknown to me, and that she knew where my grave was. Whether this woman is currently alive and what she’s called, I don’t know. I don’t know if my wife knew the name of this woman.

I know that a certain Romanowski, whose first name I don’t know, was a Gestapo informant and he gave up many people to the Germans.

I learned from Jadwiga Osowska that during the construction works on the Burzycka estate, human remains were dug up whose origin I don’t know. I should add that in the place where we built the bunkers, on the Burzycka estate, the Germans later dug some ditches, but how deep I cannot say because I only know this from hearsay.

The report was read out.