Warsaw, 24 January 1946. Examining judge Halina Wereńko, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness, without taking an oath. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the significance of the oath, the judge took an oath therefrom, following which the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stefan Starzewski
Date of birth 2 April 1891
Parents’ names Bolesław and Jadwiga
Occupation head of a department at the Municipal Board of the Capital City of Warsaw
Religion Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

During the Warsaw Uprising I worked at the Charles and Mary Hospital as an administrative manager. St Lazarus Hospital stood opposite ours, at Leszno Street 136.

During the night from 5 to 6 August 1944 the Germans occupied the premises of St Lazarus Hospital. I saw how German soldiers poured petrol on successive storeys of the building at Leszno Street and set it ablaze. At the same time I could hear gunshots and groans. The burning buildings were surrounded by military personnel, and I could see that no rescue effort was being made.

I saw a few less severely wounded people, who were escaping through our premises from St Lazarus Hospital, and they said that the hospital bunker, full of wounded and a part of the hospital staff, had been doused with petrol and showered with grenades, burning down completely with all those who were inside; they had been burnt alive.

In all, the patients and hospital personnel could have numbered up to 600. I know this for I was in contact with St Lazarus Hospital, to which we sent the wounded.

I don’t know the actual capacity of the bunker. In any case, neither I, nor any of the employees of the Charles and Mary Hospital have recently met even one of the personnel from St Lazarus Hospital.

Apart from those who had been murdered in the bunker, patients and staff in various wards were also burnt alive, and the buildings torched. At the time, one could escape from St Lazarus hospital only through our hospital, and I saw that no more than a few people had managed to flee.

I don’t know the surnames of any of those who survived.

The report was read out.