On 10 December 1947 in Gdańsk, Examining Judge A. Zachariasiewicz interviewed the person named below as a witness, who having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations testified as follows:

Name and surname Franciszek Szumigaj
Age 41 years
Parents’ names Ludwik and Michalina
Occupation doctor at the Medical Academy
Place of residence Sopot, Książąt Pomorskich Street 12, flat 1
Criminal record I have a clean criminal record
Relationship to the parties none

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was working as a doctor at the John of God Hospital at the junction of Bonifraterska and Konwiktorska streets, where I had an official flat. At the time, the hospital had the following wards: mental diseases, prison surgery, and compulsory treatment of venereal diseases. The hospital housed the following numbers of patients: mentally ill – approximately 250; wounded (both insurrectionists and civilians who had gone there seeking help) – some 350 people in total. The hospital and the building of the State Securities Printing House were the last two bastions holding off the Germans from the direction of the Jewish quarter, Żoliborz, and the Citadel. I would like to add that the hospital as such was located in the basement area, which had been prepared by German anti-aircraft defense forces, while the higher stories were occupied by insurrectionists who engaged in incessant offensive and defensive actions.

On 21 August 1944 in the evening, seeing that the hospital – at the time no more than a burning building, partially in ruin – would fall to the Germans at any moment, I made my way to the hospital located at Długa Street 7 in the pre-War building of the Ministry of Justice. I was accompanied by a few Sisters of Charity, two of whom I remember by their surnames – sister Jadwiga Paszkowska, a pharmacist, who in all probability is currently working at the Child Jesus Hospital in Warsaw (the pharmacy), and sister Anna Suchecka, who is presently in Konin, or maybe in Turek near Kalisz. Already over the past few days, both the wounded and sick, albeit partially and in small groups, had been sent to this hospital. Work on the organization of this hospital had started ten days before my arrival, and it was administered by Prof. Wincenty Tomaszewicz, the current Dean of the Medical Department at Łódź University, and others.

I stayed there only for one night and, in order to relieve him, I took some of the wounded, numbering around fifty, to St. Hyacinth’s Church at Freta Street 10, where I was organizing a hospital in the church and the catacombs. My collaborator at that facility was Dr. Leon Uszkiewicz, presently the Director of the Department of Social Medicine at the Ministry of Health in Warsaw. I worked in this hospital from the morning of 22 August until the morning of 2 September 1944, when all those who could walk unaided or with the assistance of others were driven out by the Vlasovtsy soldiers who had occupied the building.

Some 50 of us were thrown out, while 200 seriously wounded remained along with patients who, in spite of the terror instilled by the Russians, had no strength left to leave the building. I know that from amongst the seriously wounded who remained in the hospital, one man definitely survived – the Reverend Dr. Pągowski, the Dean in Kutno. In all probability he was the sole survivor from the hospital at Długa Street 7.

Our group, pillaged along the way and with the prettier women being abducted and taken to the ruins, was driven on foot to the Citadel, from where we were transported on the same day to Pruszków. The Vlasovtsys were accompanied by an officer wearing a German infantry uniform.

During the period in question I was ill, but continued work despite being feverish. In truth, I was overburdened with work that would have been too much for a healthy man, and for this reason I was not interested in determining what kinds of units were attacking the aforementioned facilities, nor under whose command they operated.

I did not witness the executions of the sick or wounded.

This is all.

The report was read out.