Warsaw, 27 September 1947. Judge Jerzy Majewski interviewed the person named below as a witness, having first taken an oath. The witness, having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, testified as follows:

Name and surname Helena Maria Robakowska
Date and place of birth 17 February 1922 in Lwów
Parents’ names Adam and Maria, née Świderska
Place of residence Wrocław, Mickiewicza Street 37
Occupation student at Warsaw University
Nationality Polish
Criminal record a) criminal – none, b) political – none

Up until the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising, I was employed as an officer worker at the Electrical Railroad Office on Marszałkowska Street, at the corner of Nowogrodzka Street.

On 1 August 1944 the tramcar that I was taking home to Żoliborz was stopped by the Germans on the Gdański Bridge. We were all ordered off.

Since the Uprising had already broken out in Żoliborz, I was unable to get to my flat at Wilsona Square 4, flat 12. Therefore, I proceeded to the John of God Hospital at Bonifraterska Street, where my aunt – Dr Halina Jankowska – was working as a physician. At the hospital I got myself employed as a nurse, helping with the wounded.

Since on 12 August the John of God Hospital had been completely destroyed by German train-mounted artillery located near the Gdański Railway Station, the insurrectionary hospital was evacuated from Bonifraterska Street. Some of the patients were transferred to St. Jacek’s Church, some to the building of the Ministry of Justice, where a hospital had already been set up, and other still to the "Pod Krzywą Latarnią" Hospital on Podwale Street.

Since the John of God Hospital also had a few dozen mental patients, some of the doctors, including my aunt, Dr Jankowska, stayed behind with them. A few of the most severely wounded also remained in the hospital. These doctors, together with the seriously wounded, perished when the roof of the cellar caved in following a bomb strike. I know very well that my aunt, Dr Jankowska, and one of the female nurses died in the hospital.

Following the evacuation of the hospital from Bonifraterska Street, I was employed as a nurse in the mixed hospital at Długa Street 7.

When the insurrectionists withdrew from the Old Town, between 30 August and 1 September, German units and "Ukrainian" SS detachments entered the building of the Ministry [of Justice] at Długa Street. I don’t know who commanded these units, nor did I recognise their branches of service. Once they appeared, on 2 September, all of the female nurses were ordered to gather in the courtyard, and from there we were taken under guard to the Western Railway Stations.

The hospital at Długa Street in which I worked occupied eight basement halls. When I was leaving the building at Długa Street, there were some one hundred patients at the facility.

The hospital of the "Wigry" Battalion was situated on the upper storeys of the building at Długa Street 7. This hospital also had patients. I would assume that when the female nurses were marched off in the direction of the Western Railway Station, more or less one hundred people were left in the building of the Ministry of Justice.

At the Western Railway Station we were joined by a female nurse or a moderately wounded insurrectionist, who informed us that when she or he was leaving the hospital at Długa Street 7, the Germans and "Ukrainians" had started executing the wounded. According to this person, when a few of the less severely wounded attempted to leave the hospital premises, the Germans shot then dead on the spot, and then proceeded downstairs to the halls, where they executed those lying in beds using a revolver or a rifle. The Germans spared the last hall, in which there where some ten severely wounded people.

As the Germans set fire to the whole ministry building at Długa Street 7, the patients who had severe injuries and could not get up from their beds died in the blaze.

I assume that the Germans dealt with the wounded at the "Pod Krzywą Latarnią" Hospital in the same way as they did with those at Długa Street 7. I would like to explain that before the Germans entered the hospital at Długa Street, all of the personal documents of the wounded and military clothing had been destroyed by the female nurses.

At the present time I cannot provide the surnames and addresses of the people who could testify regarding the crimes committed by the Germans during the uprising in the Old Town. I knew the women friends with whom I worked as a nurse only by their pseudonyms, and we have not kept in touch.

The report was read out and signed.