C.[...] L.[...]

Warsaw, 25 July 1948. Judge Halina Wereńko, a member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness, without taking an oath. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname C.[...] L.[...] née M.[...]
Parents’ names W.[...] and W.[...] née W.[...]
Date of birth 17 March 19[...], Detroit, USA [...]
Religion Roman Catholic
Citizenship and nationality Polish
Education vocational school
Occupation manicurist
Place of residence Warsaw, Oksywska Street [...]

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was at home in Warsaw at Oksywska Street [...]. The closest German detachments were in the school on Kolektorska Street and in the barracks on Gdańska Street. Initially, there were no insurrectionists in our area.

On 22 and 24 August 1944, the soldiers from the barracks at Gdańska Street and the school at Kolektorska Street took all of the men from our house and the neighbouring buildings, detaining them on the pretext of storing food supplies, and subsequently transported them to the transit camp in Pruszków. Towards the end of August the insurrectionists from Żoliborz attacked the school at Kolektorska Street and destroyed it, while around the next day the German garrison left the barracks at Gdańska Street and proceeded to the Central Institute of Physical Education.

On 31 August a unit of "Ukrainians" arrived from the direction of Bielany, pillaging the houses; at Gdańska Street 23 they raped two women. They also set fire to the buildings, ordering the civilian populations to run to Bielany. Along the way, a group of residents from our house and I detached ourselves, seeking refuge in the bunker on Żeromskiego Street. The "Ukrainians" found us there and ordered everyone to come out. From amongst the women they selected myself and another girl, aged around 20, whom they then raped in the bunker. I was raped by two soldiers. During this time our group, previously robbed by the "Ukrainians", had gone to the home for the elderly in the "Zdobycz Robotnicza" housing estate. Once the "Ukrainians" left, I went there, too. After three days we returned to the house at Oksywska Street [...], for the insurrectionists had taken control of our street.

On 11 September the Germans from the Central Institute of Physical Education commenced an attack on the oil mill, which they captured on 14 September. At around 14:00 some of the insurrectionists withdrew through our courtyard, and then I, along with the remaining residents of our house, proceeded to Gdańska Street. I managed to reach the block at Gdańska Street 4a. The Germans captured this block on the next day. At around 13:00, being one of the first to leave the cellar, I witnessed soldiers in German uniforms – "Ukrainians", judging by their cries – murdering the civilians leaving the house at Gdańska Street 4, the so-called "Peking”.

I don’t know how many people were murdered.

We were led along Gdańska Street in the direction of Bielany. The group was halted at Kaskadowa Street, and those were fit for work were separated from the elderly. In Gdańska Street I saw the scattered bodies of some eight women, men, and children. Later on, the bodies from Gdańska Street and neighbouring streets were buried by a work group selected from the group with which I was walking, at the corner of Gdańska and Kaskadowa streets, and also in the garden at Gdańska Street 23. When we exited the house at Gdańska Street 23b, following the withdrawal of the insurrectionists, only one Aleksandra Zielińska remained – currently residing at Gdańska Street 23b – and she was still there when the murders of civilians were committed.

Sabina Nalborska, the owner of the restaurant at Gdańska Street 5, might give more information about the murders at the "Peking", while Eugeniusz Nagin, residing at Starynkiewicza Street 5, might provide more detail about the murders at the "Kaskada’.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.