Warsaw, 14 March 1947. Halina Wereńko, member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, heard the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Jan Kurek
Parents’ names Adam and Lucyna
Date of birth 6 August 1916 in Mszczonów
Education elementary school and a craft school
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Place of residence Warsaw, Olimpijska Street 23, flat 2
Nationality and state affiliation Polish
Occupation car fitter

During the Warsaw Uprising, I lived at Olimpijska Street 23 in Warsaw. On 1 August 1944, after pushing back an insurgent attack, the Germans took the civilians they had forced from their homes into the fort dungeon. Where I lived, the removal of people from their homes proceeded without much violence. It was 4.30 p.m. [sic]. On 3 or 4 August, the Germans told a group of men from the dungeon to clear away the corpses. I was in that group; we dug two graves at Racławicka Street. We buried some 19 bodies of insurgents who had fallen during the attack on 1 August and some 14 corpses recovered from the basement of a house at the corner of Balonowa and Racławicka streets, where Maria Konarska had a store. I heard that on 1 August the first shots were fired from that house and after the repulsion of the attack, in revenge, the Germans had surrounded the house, forbidding the civilians to leave the premises, and then thrown grenades into the basement and set the house on fire. On 3 August, along with a German captain, Rudolf (I am not sure as to him), our group entered the basement of that house to take the corpses away. The Germans stayed outside and when we entered the basement, we saw that some people were still alive. As they overheard our conversation, the Germans ordered us out and then, in our presence, threw grenades into the basement. When we went down to the basement again, we saw that two people were still alive: Maria Konarska, who was only injured in the leg, and a young boy, unknown to me, about 21–22 years old. The Germans took the boy to the command post of the fort at Racławicka Street, and we placed Maria Konarska, already on a stretcher, in the yard of the house at the corner of Balonowa and Racławicka streets. Then we were ordered to transfer 14 corpses from the basement to the graves we had just dug. We didn’t see Maria Konarska afterwards.

Only in the summer of 1946, when a pile of fertilizer in the courtyard of the house on the corner of Racławicka and Balonowa streets was moved, the corpse of Maria Konarska was found underneath, uncovered by her brother.

When I was in the dungeon, I heard rumors that General Doerfler had set up a court martial to try insurgents and chance passers-by who got caught, condemning them to death.

Until 15 August 1944, that is until the air force general Doerfler held the command of the fort, the civilians were not harassed. When Doerfler left with a unit of airmen, the situation got worse, the treatment of civilians deteriorated, and if I remember the date correctly, on 20 August 1944, all the people were deported to the Pruszków transit camp.

At that the report was concluded and read out.