Warsaw, [no date] 1949. Mgr Norbert Szuman, member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, heard the person named below as a witness. The witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Stanisław Worach
Date and place of birth 3 September 1940 in Brudzewice
Parents’ names Aleksander and Józefa née Sadowska
Occupation of the father farmer
State affiliation and nationality Polish
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Education three grades of vocational school
Occupation tailor
Place of residence Chełmska Street 24a, flat 6
Criminal record none

At the outbreak of the Warsaw Uprising I was at Chełmska Street 24a. Until about mid- August 1944, our area was a “no man’s land.” The closest German troops were stationed in the barracks at Podchorążych Street, in the Dominican monastery in Służew, and in Siekierki. At that time, the insurgents were in Mokotów and Sadyba. Our area was often crossed by German patrols taking all the men they encountered, so we had to hide. In the middle of August, the insurgents captured the area, taking quarters in various houses. Civilian men were used for setting up barricades. From our area, the insurgents made sallies into the barracks on Podchorążych Street and Łazienki park.

On the other side of Chełmska Street, at number 19, was the Divine Providence Home for orphaned girls under 18. At the beginning of August, the Holy Spirit and Ujazdowski hospitals were evacuated to the home. They installed themselves there, also at the Matuszewski factory at Jedwabnicza Street 5 and at the Rago at Jedwabnicza Street 3. Red Cross symbols were placed on the roofs and walls. The paramedics from both of the hospitals brought in injured insurgents and civilians from the area. A few days after the Red Cross symbols were placed on the walls, the German air force bombed the eastern part of the Divine Providence Home. Many of the sick were killed. After the bombardment, the Holy Spirit Hospital and a large group of civilians relocated to Powsinek.

On 2 September, the Germans bombed the house at Iwicka Street 2, which housed a large civilian shelter. Some 30 people were killed there.

A few days after this bombing, the Germans carried out another air raid on the hospital. The west wing of the Divine Providence Home was destroyed. In between the air raids, the buildings marked with Polish Red Cross crosses were constantly under fire. Only civilians remained in the buildings previously occupied by the hospitals. The Germans – I believe – must have known this, but they continued shooting at these buildings. There were few insurgents in the area at the time.

On 14 September, the homes and factory were leveled by bombs.

On 15 September 1944, I left Warsaw and entered the Royal Road [Królewska Droga]. From there, a German troop took me in a group of people to Czerniakowska Street, to the Home of Our Lady of Loreto, from where I managed to get out to Wilanów the following day.

At that the report was concluded and read out.